Almalence Imaging Technologies
We focus on developing of algorithmic image quality enhancement solutions that allow to overcome physical limits of optical systems.
Our main technology domains:
- Multi frame imaging: using series of images to get higher resolution, SNR, dynamic range and DoF than optical system provides;
- Mobile imaging: DSC/SLR imaging quality and features on mobile phones;
- Super resolution: enhancing of effective resolution of optical system;
- Professional photo processing algorithms: precise and powerful multi frame processing;
- DSP programming
Photographic Multishot Techniques by Juergen Gulbins, Rainer Gulbins
(a book covering multishot techniques in professional photography)
All implementations of our technologies exist as SDKs and are available for licensing. A number of device OEMs and imaging software developers have already licensed our solutions, we welcome everyone to evaluate and license our solutions to create great imaging software and devices.
Spatial resolution enhancement for both still images and video.
It is possible to enhance the resolution of an optical system by either acquiring more graphic information (e.g. taking and merging several images of the same object) or by reconstructing the details lost due to the faultiness of the optical system (applying knowledge of the optical system's properties).
Our super resolution technology uses both ways to achieve the maximum image quality.
- Fast (100-200 mul/add per pixel)
- Robust to noise
- Tuned to particular optical system to provide maximum quality
Spatial and Radiometric Image Registration
Spatial Image Registration
Almalence's precise image registration algorithms allow:
- registering the images with sub-pixel precision;
- registering with compensation for non-linear geometry distortions, both regular (lens distortions) and irregular (such as atmospheric disturbances);
- registering images containing moving objects, taken at different focus points and/or with different exposures and changing lighting;
- using information about sensor structure for better registration of RAW images.
Precise radiometric alignment is vital for image fusion tasks, especially when a number of fusion techniques are applied in parallel, e.g. when merging a stack of exposure-bracketed images and concurrently processing the scene to remove duplicates of moving objects.
Multi-frame fusion (HDR, DoF, moving objects)Fusion of multiple images is a powerful technique that allows to:
- Expand dynamic range, creating a high dynamic range images;
- Expand Depth of Field when fusing the images taken at different focal points;
- Remove moving objects from the scene
Noise-free HDR is a technique of dynamic range expansion which makes it possible to reduce the noise in HDR images, especially in shadows. The same functionality can be used in normal (non-HDR) photography to eliminate noise even from the deep shadows of images by blending normally exposed and overexposed photos of the same object.
Almalence's mobile HDR solution provides professional-level HDR fusion and tone mapping on mobile devices within fraction of a second. Moving objects are correctly handled using patented de-ghosting algoithm.
Chromatic Aberrations Auto Correction
To a greater or lesser extent, every lens focuses the light of different wavelengths onto different focal planes and magnifies it differently. Correspondingly, this causes so-called "Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations" and "Lateral Chromatic Aberrations". Chromatic aberrations are visible as the fringes of color at the contrast edges.
Our Chromatic Aberrations correction solution automatically corrects the aberrations, minimizing the circle of confusion. No manual adjustments are needed for the correction. It is the only technology for completely automatic CA correction available on the market.
CA correction is extremely usable for HDR applications, as tone mapping algorithms usually amplify the color fringing.
Read more:Chromatic aberrations correction demo
Image Segmentation and Stitching
Many modern image processing algorithms require a fast and efficient method of image segmentation. Almalence's patented segmentation algorithm provides results similar to the well known graph-cut while having more than 10 times higher performance. Image segmentation is used in algorithms such as panorama stitching, HDR fusion of dynamic scenes, and moving objects.
Fast and memory efficient panorama stitching technology, providing:
- Up to 100 MPix panoramic images stitching on a smartphone;
- Correct handling of moving objects (no ghosting);
- Preserving high dynamic range of the scene;
For more details check HD Panorama solution in Embedded Mobile Imaging section.
Auto correction of over-sharpening artefacts
Some image processing algorithms happen to introduce over-sharpening artefacts to the image.
A proprietary patented algorithm developed by Almalence automatically detects the level of over-sharpening in the image and corrects it. Only the over-sharpened areas/edges are corrected; the algorithm does not bring blurriness to the image areas unaffected by over-sharpening.
Fast and memory-efficient tone mapping
Almalence's tone mapping algorithm performs efficient reduction of dynamic range, perserving the details by using local contrast manipulations.
Its speed allows to perform real time re-calculation of preview image when changing tone mapping parameters on mobile device.
High-quality noise reduction and sharpening filters
Fast and high-quality noise reduction and sharpening filters to be used instead of ISP filters:
- Noticeably better quality than with ISP filters;
- Higher noise reduction without losing image details;
- No oversharpening artefacts;
- Can be run on CPU or GPU
For more details check Noise Reduction and Sharpening in Embedded Mobile Imaging section.
Almalence's technologies are available for licensing as binary-form SDKs and as source code as well. We offer very flexible licensing terms suitable for a wide range of applications - from custom in-house software to products marketed worldwide. We provide custom modifications, adaptation to specific hardware and system software and integration support when needed.
For a licensing inquiry, please contact us.